[R129 SL] Another electronic nightmare?

Oldbenz1 at aol.com Oldbenz1 at aol.com
Sat Mar 20 16:19:38 EDT 2010

I recently had a mishap whereby the radio antenna on my '92 500SL was
broken. It was the next morning when I found I had the problem. My battery
was stone dead. Apparently, since the antenna was not able to retract fully
when I shut down the engine the day before, power was continually being
applied to the antenna motor. I found a blown fuse on the small fuse block
that is adjacent to the right decklid hinge, but when I replaced it, that
fuse also blew. I removed the antenna and again replaced the blown fuse- this
time it did not blow. I then bench tested the antenna and found it to be
inoperative- probably due to a blown component on the circuit board in the
antenna case or the antenna motor itself. I then charged the car's
battery and expected everything to be OK except, of course, for no antenna, and
no radio. No such luck- now my instrument panel is inoperative- gauges do
not work. All other fuses are OK. What's wrong? ALSO- anyone know of a
source for a replacement antenna at a humane price, or can my present one be
repaired?
Rich Splaine