[R129 SL] Lubrication points for soft top

BJonesNY at aol.com BJonesNY at aol.com
Sun Mar 8 11:12:26 EDT 2009

Onderwerp: [R129 SL] Lubrication points for soft top

Guys -

The soft top on my 2000 SL500 squeals when being raised but it is quiet when
being dropped. About half way up it jerks and squeals on the passenger side.
I bought some while grease, can anyone suggest lubrication points?

Thanks,

Mark D.

Mark,
First, white/lithium grease wouldn't be my first choice for lubrication of
the hinge points on the top....suggest a drop or two(no more!) of sewing
machine oil; very thin, highly penetration/lubricating and use very sparingly.

Your other question about oil, I assume you mean for the top hydraulic
system. It takes either MB '$pecial' hydraulic fluid from the dealer, or
Febi/Bilstien Hydraulic Fluid, p/n 02615, available from most of the online mb parts
suppiers. Since the fluid in your reservoir is 9yrs old, suggest you buy 2
ltrs of hydraulic fluid, and remove the old fluid and replace with new.

Bob