[R129 SL] battery issues

Peter S joyce.pm at xtra.co.nz
Tue Jan 6 15:50:40 EST 2009

Hi Markus and William,

The first thing I do (and have just done this to may 129) is to check the
battery. My old battery used to go 'flat' quite quickly (was 6 years old),
so I purchased a new one. The new battery was supposably tested and charged
and I dropped the battery into the car....but... went flat in 4 days. I
checked the battery and whoa.... 0.4 volts across the battery terminals.
Technically the battery should be 'stuffed' at this voltage. As the new
maintenance free batteries are mostly Calcium Silver Lead Acid types, the
old style charger will not charge these batteries.

I have a 3 stage ramp charger for Calcium batts, but did not move from 0.4
volts, so the battery supplier used a 17 amp charger - still would not move.
So we used an 80 amp (8 stage ramp charger)charger, and that moved it
reasonably quickly. Remember the battery at this stage was less than a week
old (it also has a 36 month guarantee).

The battery supplier indicated I have a problem in the car so check out the
car. I indicated that I start the process at the beginning, and after
putting a supplementary battery in, the drain was only about 0.2 amps from
the clock etc, so it was unlikely to be the car.

I was concerned the new battery could be faulty (or fail early) but after 2
months, all is still going well. So in this case, the battery was at fault.
To check currents, I use a DC clip on ammeter (Fluke 41B). I have a low
current probe so it is easy to check 'standing' load currents without
removing battery leads etc, and as Markus has indicated, if the current flow
is too high, start pulling the fuses so you can track the cause.

Good Luck with finding the fault. Here in Palmerston North, New Zealand, it
is 10 am, light breeze, 23 degrees C, sunny and I am just about to do my
day's work in the SL. I usually travel with the top down, so time to enjoy
this nice weather.

Regards, Peter S.