[R129 SL] Shift nob.

Jan Kuylaars J.kuylaars at kpnplanet.nl
Thu Oct 2 16:22:30 EDT 2008

That is for cars after 1996.But you can see it if there is a black
plastic piece at the bottom.
Before 1996 the knob is out of one piece with the shifter and at the end
is a screw with a nut.
So you must dissamble your mid console, and loose the nut. Then you can
turn out the complete shifter with knob.
Replace the other way around.

Take off midconsole:
Turn ignition switch off.
Remove radio.
Remove Climate Control/Heater Control Panel.
Screw (1) in center of oddments tray unscrew.
Bend oddments tray inwards at upper corners (arrows), press forward and
remove at corners.
CAUTION : Do not use tools with sharp edges to remove the oddments tray
to prevent damaging the wood cover (6). If necessary the oddments tray
can be lifted with a small installation hook at the center screw hole
(arrow).

Unscrew screws (2 and 3) below oddments tray.
Press cover (6) to left out of catch at rear and lift at right.
Press cover (6) to right out of catch at rear and lift at left.
Lift cover (6) at rear and pull downward out of upper catches.
Pull off plug connections on switches.
Remove cover (6).
Reinstall in opposite order.
Perform general function test.

IF YOU FIND THIS TO DIFFECULT, YOU COULD DO LIKE I DID; TAKE OF THE
COVER FROM THE SHIFT, PUT IT AS HIGH AS YOU CAN TO THE KNOB AND FASTEN
WITH TAPE. TAKE A RIGHT WRENCH AND SAW OUT THE THICKNESS OFF THE
SHIFTERARM. PUT THE WRENCH OVER THE ARM DOWN INTO THE GEARBOX TO LOOSE
THE NUT. YOU MUST HAVE WRENCH WICH IS DEEP ENOUGH TO DO SO.
THEN YOU MUST TAKE EXTRA CARE WITH THE SWITCH WHAT IS MOUNTED AT THE
RIGHT SIDE AND IS CONTROLED BY THE SHIFTERARM.
IT MUST BE SET AT THE SAME PLACE BEFORE AND AFTER CHANGING THE ARM IF
NOT YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH STARTING ENGINE,