[R129 SL] Windshield wiper

Jan Kuylaars J.kuylaars at kpnplanet.nl
Thu Oct 2 16:04:32 EDT 2008

Tom.
The wiper blades are mounted on a eccentric that is put under your
windshield.
This eccentric is driven by an electric motor that is placed on the left
side under the cover.
So you must first pull the plastic cover on the left side of .
Put you motor hood in the most upright position, look to the plastic
covers with air holes in front of the wiper.
There are 2 pieces , left and right. For the motor it is enough to
remove the left You can unscrew the screws you can see in the middle
near the wiper arm. At the left side the screws are hidden behind the
cover. You can see a hole with four triangle . Put your Philips
screwdriver true this hole and unscrew the screw for some turns. It is
not necessary to screw out the screw complete, because the cover is with
one side open mounting. Pull the left cover to the left of the car.

Now you can see the wiper motor.
On top of the wiper motor you can the wires from the harness.
The are welded on the contact points.
The cover plate is fasten with three screws.
Take off your battery cable, or follow the harness to the driver box,
located in space left behind the motor, and take of the connector from
the box !!
Unscrew these three screws and you can take of the cover.
You will see that there are cupper contact point which are mend to come
on the disc inside the motor.
Most of the time the points are become flat on one side and the fetter
power is gone.
Take a file ore sandpaper and clean the points so that the are round
again.
Bend the fetters wider from the cover, so that there will be contact
power again.
Try to let the contact points laying with the flat side straight on the
disc.
On the disc is some grease that is out of the contact strip, This is
special grease to prevent corroding.
Put the grease with your finger back to the contact strip before you
pace the cover back.

Put the connector back and test the wipers.
If all is OK, its ok.

If you still have problems, disconnect the battery and the wiper motor
connector , and take out the driver box.
Carefully open the box and see there are a lot of relay's.
Take a fine sandpaper and clean the contact points on both sides .
Re assemble everything and most of the time your problems are gone.

Jan