[R129 SL] Shift nob.

George Jenner gjenner at nc.rr.com
Thu Oct 2 09:16:36 EDT 2008

Bruce, it has been about 3 yrs. since I replaced the original shifter knob
on my 1996 SL500 but if I remember correctly there is a black plastic collar
on the lower end of the knob which unscrews. I think that released the knob
so that it could be lifted off the shifter lever and the new knob is just
the reverse procedure. When I was doing the job I started out by lifting
off the top emblem thinking that was the key but that did nothing but damage
the knob so when I got the new knob I was able to see that it was the bottom
collar which was key to the operation.

George

Database version: 5.10830