[R129 SL] Ignition switch/key problem

Jan Kuylaars J.kuylaars at kpnplanet.nl
Mon Jun 16 08:30:48 EDT 2008

You must try it with graphite powder ( that is what is used for the
black center in pencils to write on the paper).
You can buy it in a can with a small outlet so you can blow the powder
inside the lock.
Never use oil inside a lock.!!!

If this wil not help after a few blows you must replace the lock
cylinder.
You can order the original by the dealer , so you do not have to change
all the locks.
But do not wait to long !!!

If you cannot remove the key, they must brake all defect : the cylinder
- the housing -drill out the saftybolts and still need to replace all
the stuff, including a part between the lock and the ingnition switch.

If you can take off the key, they can easly take out the main cylinder
and repalce it for a service cylinder while they order the original
cylinder.
They will tell you that allso the part between the cylinder and the
switch must be replaced, but why can they easely change the service
cylinder alone?

I have a cylinder for 5 years (100$) laying in my dashboard cabinet. I
fixed the lock with grpahite powder.

Flying Dutchman