[R129 SL] Spark plug story

mooncusser moon.cusser at verizon.net
Sun May 27 15:40:08 EDT 2007

Quick story here about spark plugs...ya never know...?

I replaced mine today on my 300sl and to my surprise the gap on 4 out 6
was nearly doubled the required setting. The gap should be 32 and I found
all the plugs over 40 and 4 were at a whopping 60. Engine was running a little
rough but not bad by any means...just thought it was time for a change of the spark
plugs. Gasoline prices being what they are and still on the rise. What a difference new plugs
made ...acceleration plus...now lets see how the milage responds to the new plugs. Today gasoline...
92 octane....priced... $3.39 gal.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Original plugs were all burning properly... no oil, no soot just
widened gaps. Which says a lot about the condition the engine is
running.
B F Rollins II

1)1963 220 (now history)
Blue/Grey
2)1981 240d (body cancer claimed this one )
Ivory/Brown 192000
3)1992 300sl 68000 (summer)
Black/Gray
4)1992 190e 159000