[R129 SL] 1998 SL500 Central Locking System

ZIGGOR at aol.com ZIGGOR at aol.com
Wed Jun 20 17:11:28 EDT 2007

Hello fellow enthusiasts,

My 1998 SL500 has recently begun displaying several gremlins. On occasion,
the door locks will unlock while traveling. Originally I thought a sudden
jolt triggered the post accident unlock system but there seems to be no
correlation between rough road and occurrence. The second gremlin to manifest itself
is the occasional failure to unlock the trunk via the remote, console
switch, or outside mechanical key. Several cycles of locking and unlocking the
doors via the remote and key, starting the car, and pushing down slightly on the
trunk lid generally cures the problem. I'm unsure if my actions have any
effect on the problem but they occupy my time while I wait for the unlock system
to decide to return to functionality.
Finally, following the unlocking while traveling, the central locking system
has been losing all function. Recently, after the doors unlocked enroute, I
arrived at my location and found I could not lock the doors normally. I was
able to secure the car by physically locking the passenger door and locking the
driver's door with the key.
Has anyone experienced similar symptoms and, if so, would you offer me any
advice as to what to check, repair, and/or replace? Thanks in advance for
you input and advice.

Glenn Ziegler
_Ziggor at aol.com_ (mailto:Ziggor at aol.com)
_Zigbenz at aol.com_ (mailto:Zigbenz at aol.com)