[R129 SL] problems automatic gear.

Jan Kuylaars J.kuylaars at kpnplanet.nl
Sun Jul 8 14:58:28 EDT 2007

Hello folks.

Today the sun was shining and having my car left alone for more then
three weeks I decided to make a drive.
Halfway my ASR lamp comes on and my gas pedal want react as it should.
I stopped because I had the gas problem some weeks ago; the cable came
out the handle.

But today that was not happening.
My engine makes a strange noise like bearings were dry.
I checked the oil and there was enough, the oil from the automatic gear
was lower than normal , but I could not see exact.

I drove to a gas station, filled the engine with 1 liter oil for sure,
checked and it was just under the top limit.

Then I drove at home, hearing the noise up en down depending on the
engine speed.
Whit 60km/hour the noise was low.
The engine temperature was high; around the 100 degrees Celsius.
I wait 30 minutes before I drove farther. The temperature was lowered to
80 degrees Celsius.
I saw some smoke coming out under the car and again I wait for 30
minutes to cool down.
Then I had to drive 5 km and at the last I put out the motor and set the
gear in neutral.
The last 100 meters I drove the car normal and find that the gear was
shifting raw.

Leaving the car on the lane to my home to cool down, I discovered that
the oil from the gearbox only was on the top of the dipstick.
After two ours I could see that there was gearbox oil dripped on the
lane.
I drove my car into the garage and the engine? gearbox makes a raw
noise.

So with to low oil maybe normal.
Now I will fill up tomorrow the gearbox with oil and hope that the noise
is gone.
Off course I must repair the leakage.

I was confused ;should a leave the car on the road or drive at home.
Because we can not tow the car , I decided to drive home in steps.
Totally it was 10 miles.

Has someone experience with this? Is my gearbox gone to heaven and must
I replace the complete box?
Or is there a change it will survive?