[R129 SL] automatic gearbox update

Oldbenz1 at aol.com Oldbenz1 at aol.com
Fri Aug 10 10:19:25 EDT 2007

Thank you Jan for another very informative response. Fluid level in the
gearbox checks OK, and it is clean. I bought this car last year with 53,000
miles. Service records indicate that the filter and fluid was changed in
September of '04 at 39,235 miles and again in October of '05 at 44,102 miles so it
appears that maintenance has been performed better than recommended.
Presently the mileage is a bit more than 56,000. There has never been any problem
with the gearbox- no leaks, no slippage, etc. Shifting is firm and positive.
Do you think it would be beneficial to once again change the filter and
fluid? What about the rear axle? ( I don't know if my car is equipped with ASD
or ADS). There are no leaks at the rear axle, but could low fluid level in
the axle cause the ASR light to come on?