[R129 SL] automatic gearbox update

Jan Kuylaars J.kuylaars at kpnplanet.nl
Thu Aug 9 19:41:08 EDT 2007

I talking about the oil pump and the powerconvertor in the automatic
gear box.
Maybe it is possible that your oil level is not right, or your gearbox
filter and oil is never changed within 60000 kilometers= 37500 miles.
So if you want to be sure check it, it is cheaper to replace then to
repair.
So I believe my ASR lamp come on because one of my wheels where slipping
on the road during power in a curve.
But there could be a possibility that there is slipping in the
powerconvertor during normal driving because of to low oil.
That is not normal, and maybe the controller reads the cycle's from the
motor axes and the cycles from the rear wheels and calculate that there
is
something wrong, resulting in ASR warning.Only the slipping is not on
the road but in the powerconvertor ( automatic clutch ) . I am not for
sure.

Today I visit the expert gearbox technician to make an appointment for
bringing the car Saturday.
He show me a housing part from the powerconvertor from Mercedes , where
inside was a very big hole ( 1/4 inch ) in the spare for the bearing.
He told me that this hole was the out or inlet of the oil pump, and he
expect that my bearing is come out and covers the hole.
So the oil cannot go out completely and the pressure bowed out the
seals.
The noise is the damaged bearing and foaming oil, and the leakage is the
seal.

So next week he will take out the gearbox and repair.
He said normal the people change filters and oil and pay a big amount ,
and then they come here for repair and have only a small budget left.
I told him that I want to have it repaired on a good way, and he gives 3
months warranty.
Off course I must wait what the costs will be.

You see my nerves are come to peace and I accept that also a R129 from
this age must be recycled.
But then after all the problems I expect to drive it for several years.
And the value from the car will stay on the same level and never drops
under 10 000 euros, but will go up when there will be less cars that age
in perfect condition. So instead of paying the less value from a younger
car, I can use the money for maintenance.

Continuing on the next episode off the gearbox soap next week.

Jan.