[R129 SL] automatic gearbox update

Peter Shelton joyce.pm at xtra.co.nz
Mon Aug 6 17:07:51 EDT 2007

Hi Jan,
No good about the gearbox. Still, at least your 'donation' to the mechanic
will help put food on the table for his family! At least you can re-use the
oil filter, but it has cost a bit more than a normal one.
Keep using the bike - it is winter here, raining a lot so the bike is not
too good on the slippery winter roads (on our back country roads, moss and
lichen grows - can be skiddy). Interested to know how you get on, and at
least I am thinking of you in this interesting time.

My 1983 280E failed on Saturday morning - would not start outside a shop -
rang my son and had it towed home. Sprayed petrol into the air injection
intake and it starts and runs for about 10 seconds. So electrics are OK.
Suspect the fuel pump. Have now flattened the battery so need to charge it
up. My 1979 250 (The orange roughy) is also 'off the road'. fail a WOF -
warrant of fitness (I think you call it an MOT) - the handbrake cable on the
left side is 'sticking' so the tester reckons. Too wet to get under both
cars and try to resolve the problems. Now relegated to the Nissan and the
R129 as it is too wet for the Piaggio.

Have a great day and good luck with the gearbox Jan. Still drizzling here,
but at least we have lots of fresh water. Had two days in Brisbane for work
(Australia) and they have water shortages.
Kind Regards, Peter S.