[R129 SL] Re: New car

SamShentonTan at aol.com SamShentonTan at aol.com
Tue May 30 14:48:00 EDT 2006

Having read all these notes I did very briefly think maybe I should offer  my
car for sale too, before deciding that it was a crazy idea!!! For those  of
you who haven't seen it, its the Red 500SL in the start page.

The car has now covered 102k miles and enjoyed a jaunt to Tuscany last
summer, a 2200 round trip.... roof down all the way there and back! In the  smidge
under 4 years I've owned it the car has been a joy at times and a  nightmare
at others! The only nightmare times were when I was forced to park the  car
outside through a rather horrible winter and had to replace the coils,
distributor caps, rotor arms,  radiator and battery before it would let me  drive it!
It had a full check over last spring with a full top to bottom service  and new
suspension and brakes for last summers trip. It is pretty safe to say  the
car lives a good life, being stored in a heated garage and not being driven  in
the rain!

All I will say to anyone contemplating one of these is buy it, but make  sure
the car you buy is a well looked after one or it will cost you. Rust isn't
really an issue, the only rust you may find will probably be hidden behind the
rear lights or somewhere else you won't see it. The 5 speed box is great to
have, but more fragile than the 4.... what difference will the extra gear make
 anyway in the real world? These cars aren't built to race, they are cruisers
and  very good ones too... but also pack a sting in the tail if you want to
play! The important thing is that all the equipment that is fitted does
actually  work, it is horribly expensive to replace control units etc on these cars.

Good luck finding your new car Patrick, just make sure you enjoy the  search!!

Sam Shenton-Tan (UK)

1988  W126 500SEC
1991 R129 500SL
1998 W202 C250 TD Estate