[R129 SL] Re: Transmission woes

Deneal Schilmeister (iMac) deneals at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 23 16:39:49 EDT 2006

On 6/22/06 9:09 PM, "Deneal Schilmeister (iMac)" <deneals at sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

> Tonight, while driving home from dinner, I notice a problem.
>
> The car will not start in 1st gear, even though the W/S switch is set to S.
>  The car will not downshift when flooring the accelerator.
> I have a feeling that I¹m experiencing an electrical glitch.
>
> Perhaps the car is trying to go into limp home mode.  I neglected to shut the
> car off and restart, so I¹m not sure about that part.
>
> Any comments?  I need this car to make it to the Wizzbanned© Event at the end
> of next month!
----------------------

 I talked to my indie this morning, he seemed to know right away what the
problem is. Apparently the controller doo-hickey that controls shifting.
Todd¹s solution #2.

 This afternoon I took the car for a little drive to see what would happen
after the car had been shut down overnight.
 Now the symptoms are different. After starting, the "CHECK ENGINE" light
remains lit, and the car seems to start in the proper gear but the car never
up shifted. Reverse seemed normal. So I turned the car around and brought it
home.

 I wonder if it is safe to drive to the repair shop or should I have it
towed?

Deneal Schilmeister
MBCA Gateway 1991-2007
1997 SL500     (104k)