[R129 SL] convertible top problem

Anil M Seunath amseunath at atlanticlng.com
Tue Apr 4 12:34:12 EDT 2006

Dave -
Winters over... thats great news..
There is a reservoir under the spare tire under the sombero looking plastic
shell. You can see without taking off the sombero the level of the fluid.
The fluid can be bought at your local MB dealer.
So checking the level of the fluid would be the first step i would think.

Anil.

             Lowanover at aol.com
             Sent by:
             r129list-bounces@                                          To
             mbcoupes.com              r129list at mbcoupes.com
                                                                        cc

             04/04/2006 11:51                                      Subject
             AM                        [R129 SL] convertible top problem

             Please respond to
              SL Mailing List
             <r129list at mbcoupe
                  s.com>

Hi all.
I keep my 1996 SL600 in the garage over the winter months. Last week,
during the first warm spring like day, I started it up and took it out for
a drive. I store it with the hard top on (soft top retracted) The hard top
mechanism released normally, and I took it off and stored it. But later
that day when I tried to raise the soft top it stopped in the vertical
position. I was able to put it in position by hand but it wouldn't lock
down. I could here the pump running, but it was like there was not enough
power in the system. I finally held the top against the windshield by hand
and it then locked in position. My questions are: is there a reset
procedure like there is for other problems with sequencing issues? There is
no sign of leaking hydraulic fluid anywhere around the pistons that I can
see, but is there a separate hydraulic fluid reservoir for the top, or does
it use suspension system fluid. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
DaveThe MB Coupes Website!