[R129 SL] convertible top problem

Lowanover at aol.com Lowanover at aol.com
Tue Apr 4 11:51:02 EDT 2006

Hi all.
I keep my 1996 SL600 in the garage over the winter months. Last week,  during
the first warm spring like day, I started it up and took it out for a  drive.
I store it with the hard top on (soft top retracted) The hard top  mechanism
released normally, and I took it off and stored it. But later that day  when I
tried to raise the soft top it stopped in the vertical position. I was  able
to put it in position by hand but it wouldn't lock down. I could here the
pump running, but it was like there was not enough power in the system. I
finally held the top against the windshield by hand and it then locked in  position.
My questions are: is there a reset procedure like there is for other
problems with sequencing issues? There is no sign of leaking hydraulic fluid
anywhere around the pistons that I can see, but is there a separate hydraulic  fluid
reservoir for the top, or does it use suspension system fluid. Any help  would
be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave