[R129 SL] Leak problem...

George Simpson george.simpson.r129 at tiscali.fr
Wed Nov 2 07:03:46 EST 2005

I looked under my 1990 500SL and the 'outer' drain pipe is the petrol
(gas) overflow. The larger, inner one is set at the bottom of the shaped
panel under the battery and has a 'duck bill' rubber in it to allow
water to escape but not to splash in from under the car in rainy
conditions.

You should disconnect and take out your battery to see why it is wet
underneath. Hopefully, the battery casing is not cracked because the
resultant leak would be acid and would damage the body work. Check the
duck bill is clear of accumulated dirt and is not perished so that water
will pass it easily. It could be a leaking rubber trim seal around the
boot (trunk) lid which is allowing water in and which then finds the
lowest point and drains out. Check also whether the carpet is dry and
lift out the spare wheel to see if that well is dry.

Good luck

George Simpson
1990 500SL