[R129 SL] Ticking noise

mrthor at att.net mrthor at att.net
Tue May 17 12:40:19 EDT 2005

I have a 1997 sl500 with 63000 miles. Several days ago I heard a ticking sound from the engine area when I started the car. The sound comes and goes. I have changed oil but this did not help. I only hear it when the car is in idle for a small time (30 + sec or more).  Yesterday I drove the car about 150 miles total and it was fine when we arrived home. However today when I went to the drive in at the bank it started again while the car was standing at idle. I then drove home again and it was fine? At larger rpms the sound goes away. Any idea what this issue may be?

Kind regards,

Thor
mrthor at att.net