[R129 SL] Trouble in the Wet

seitle seitle at whidbey.com
Tue May 17 12:27:57 EDT 2005

This is a difficult problem, but I believe that there could be some path to ground through a frayed cable insulation or a conectror with a leakage path. Or perhaps a major ground conncetion may have come loose. Remember that there is a long path from the battery in the trunk to the engine. I would first wash the engine compartment, staying clear of everything behind the firewall like the computer. I would do this by spraying Simple Green on everything and then carefully using a pressure washer if possible clean everything of. Do not use degreaser stuff like Gunk or similar. Following that I would dry the engine using compressed air if you have it or a standard yard blower will work well. Let everything dry. Then get a spray bottle of Boeshield T-9 that was developed by Boeing. It penetrates and displaces moisture and acts as a protectant. Spray it at all the usual suspect cables and connectors. On any connecor that you can seperate you can additionally use a  pspray-on electrical contact cleaner like Pure Tronics. The T-9 stuff is not readily found, but the manufacturer can be reached at 1-800-962-1732. If the problem does not go away, at least you will have a squeaky clean engine compartment. Technicians usually appreciate that and try harder. Sorry I cannot help more, but I certainly would not throw a new computer or instrument cluster at this problem at this time.

Rolf Seitle
96 SL320