[R129 SL] Re:Check those oil tubes...NOW !

mid-co mid-co at ix.netcom.com
Tue May 17 13:35:55 EDT 2005

Does it make the sound just
at a cold start ? What's your
oil PSI showing when it
"ticks" ?

Sounds like a hydraulic lifter not pumping up ,
 or a timing chain issue.  You can isolate it
with a short length of garden hose. Put
one end to your ear and the other near
the area of the sound , taking care not
to get any clothes tangled in moving
parts.

I've had LOTS of internal engine issues with
my one owner , low miles '95 SL 500.
This car has been on Mobil-1 , changed at
3.5 - 4-K intervals.  Dealer serviced & PAMPERED.

I'd have the OIL TUBES checked. It's hard for
me to believe that a car that costs 90-K would
have a PLASTIC tube carry the oil to the top
of the engine , but this one does.  ( I believe
these were replaced "quietly" , under warranty
on many cars ).

More :   Seems there was a timing chain issue
             with mid-90's 5 liter engines. I believe
            this was very year specific. Maybe another
            member knows just what years to look
           out for.

           The lifters  also can be a problem in
            the 5 liter motor  , even at low miles.