[R129 SL] Re-post Catalytic Converter Buzz and fading AC display

Peter Cowie cowie at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jun 14 20:12:59 EDT 2005

Dear Group,

I am re - posting this as the original was buried well down a previous list and I hope someone can assist!

I purchased a 1998 Amber Red SL 500 a year ago with just 16,000km...
just run in!

Apart from replacing the air mass sensor (cause of an erratic idle and
replaced under warranty after the dealer first changed all 16 plugs and
8 injectors, not under warranty) and having the harmonic balance
disembowel itself (2 minutes from home... no damage) it has been a great
car.

There are 2 niggling problems that I thought someone in the group might
be able to shed some light on.

1st is an annoying buzz in the LHS Catalytic converter at 1700rpm. At
first I thought it was a heat shield but they are all clear and when you
tap the Cat it buzzes.

I am a bit reluctant to fork out the Aud$1600 to replace it if there is
an alternative.

2nd is an intermittent fading of the AC display. Sometimes, every few
weeks, part of the display fades away. Next time I look or if I push a
button it returns.

Thanks for all of the interesting replies that appear on the list

Peter Cowie
Sydney
Australia