[R129 SL] Re: Harmonic Balancer Problem

Peter Cowie cowie at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jun 14 18:02:13 EDT 2005

I purchased my 1998 SL500 in May 2004 with 15,000 km on the odometer.

In October, with around 19,000km, it developed a metallic grinding sound
from the front of the engine about 2 minutes from home.

Examination revealed the outer ring of the harmonic balance moved back
about 3/8" from the inner ring and contacting the front of the engine
block. A hunk of rubber about 1/2" thick and half a circle about 5"
diameter lay below the front crankshaft pulley on one of the engine
shrouds... A disemboweled harmonic balancer.

A tow truck to the Benz dealer, a part worth about AUD$260 and some
labour solved it.

My wife's 2001 ML500 had it's balancer replaced under warranty "as a
precaution" by the dealer at about 30,000km about 2 years ago.

When mine failed the dealer was fairly insistant that I did not drive it
as severe costly damage can be done to the engine sump and camshaft
driving chain covers.

Good Luck!

Peter Cowie
Sydney