[R129 SL] Harmonic damper

Victor R. Lopez vrlopez254 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 16 19:30:02 EDT 2005

Thanks Blake for all the information. I'll be climbing under my SL this week end to check the numbers myself.

Blake Cameron <blake at cameronlaw.com> wrote:v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
Harmonic balancer failure is a major problem on the late-model M112 320 V6 & M113 430 & 500 V8 motors, although it’s particularly prevalent on the V6.  Mercedes has just issued a recall in April to address the issue.

The problem is that the large rubber ring in the face of the balancer cracks & swells, and eventually comes out of the pulley.  Up to this point the failure is progressive.  All hell breaks loose once the rubber comes out completely.  The balancer may fly apart and when it does, it take out everything within its path, including the radiator, timing chain cover, and oil pan.  Just cruise by the E-class or ML-class forums at MBWorld.org
 About 1 out of every 10 or 20 threads discuss harmonic balancer failure.

Here is a link to the TSB:

http://www.edsoto.com/files/fsy8a83l-1

Blake Cameron