[R129 SL] Oil Change help

George Jenner gjenner at nc.rr.com
Fri Jul 15 08:43:46 EDT 2005

Becky, I am not as familiar with the 300 engine as I am with my 500 but there is a bottom engine cover which has to be removed before you can dump the old oil.  That bottom cover has three screws holding it up and these can easily be removed.  You will also want to lube the suspension points under the car when you do the oil drain.  On my SL500 the oil filter (which I change each time I change the oil) is of a cartridge type which is located on the right side of the motor and the cartridge is removed and replaced from above taking care not to damage the seal between the filter holder and the cover.  I use Mobil 1 synthetic 5 w 30 and have found a Nissan dealer near my home who, as long as I furnish the oil and the filter, will do the oil change, new filter, and lube the fittings for $9.95.  It is well worth that to me just to get rid of the old oil.

Happy Motoring, George