[R129 SL] Gear Shift Knob/Systems Manual

John Kirkman jdkirkk at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 18 20:15:33 EST 2005

Jan
Thanks for the detail on changing the gear shift knob. I do not possess that
type of patience or skill, but appreciate that some of our fellow owners do.
I'm sure that knowing the detailed function of the vehicle would enhance the
enjoyment of owning and driving it. I recall a mechanic telling me one time
that one particular Mercedes he worked on needed the windshield removed to
get at the heating and air conditioning unit. I had the impression that he
had learned that fact the hard way!
Aircraft generally have a manual with exploded views of major systems, and
brief explanations of how they work. This is not enough data for the sort of
task that Jan performed here, but it is something that would be of interest
to many owners. These cars tend to run in series with minor differences
between the model years. Do we have a printer among us who might be
interested in publishing such a manual? It could be a three hole (or
similar) loose-leaf volume so that differences and notes could be inserted.
Computers now make many small printing jobs possible to those who have the
skill to use them.
I am a member of the Classic Car Club of America, and was involved in the
Stutz Club for a while, and owners of those vehicles are constantly seeking
information of how certain things work. When Stutz went broke in the
thirties, they just threw away all their files, and much of the detailed
information on these splendid cars was lost forever. I suspect that in time
to come that at least some of the cars noted on these pages will have
special interest to a number of owners. It would help if we left them some
information to make their ownership task a simpler proposition.

John Kirkman
'96 SL600
Munster, Indiana, USA