[R129 SL] New to the 129

MBKindOfGuy MBKindOfGuy at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 25 11:33:05 EST 2005

Hello listers...

We are new to the world of the 129, recently purchasing a beautiful 1998 SL500.  It took us a year of searching, be we finally found "the" one we had been looking for.  It's white with a grey interior.  Panoramic roof.  Heated seats.  ASR, but no ESP.  On a 1-10 scale, easily a 9.5.  Came with records, and always dealer serviced.  Perfect CarFax (assuming it's accurate, which isn't always the case).  Patience paid off, and we are still grinning about our finding this one.

I've been doing my own maintenace to three different 300E's we've owned since 1986.  Now it's time for me to learn about the SL500.

While the new car has but 51,000 miles, I'm looking and learning about it's servicing, in preparation for doing a 60,000 mile fluid and filter service.  I probably already know the answer to this, but thought I'd ask anyways.  Is it a must to use the MB specific transmission fluid?  I'm not opposed to it, or the price, but wanted to know if there was an equivalent or better option?

Looking forward to a few years more fun in this great machine.

Regards,
Howard M. Ginsberg
1998 SL500, 51KMiles
1993 300E, 110KMiles