[R129 SL] Replacing gearshift knobs on 129s with "fused" knobs

Cliff Sadler r129list@mbcoupes.com
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:00:38 -0400

Here's another subject that I have been working on.

I bought a great looking gearshift knob off of Ebay only to find that I
could not remove the original equipment knob without destroying it because
it is "fused" onto the shaft.  Apparently, later models (maybe 94+) have
screwed on knobs and can be removed.

Rather than give up, I started looking around for a source of replacement
shift arms for the later cars. I think that I have found a source, and have
received my first arm to try and replace.

The knob fits fine, and now I have to delve into disassembling the center
console just enough to loosen the keeper nut on the existing shaft, and then
screw out the old shaft.

I'm trying to determine if this can be done without taking the wood burl off
by finding some kind of wrench that could go into the shift gate, and loosen
that keeper nut. Otherwise, it's looking like quite a disassembly job to get
that all apart.

Anyone out there with experience of taking the console apart so that you
could use a wrench from the side of the shift box? Any other considerations
here? Doesn't look like the shift gate comes off from the top of the
console.

Once I've figured this out, I'll publish the instructions and sources.

Cliff
91 500SL
Killer Daily Driver