[R129 SL] Ugly deteriorated map light covers (update)

Cliff Sadler r129list@mbcoupes.com
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 21:53:20 -0400

Well gang,

I have successfully removed the assembly (Thanks to Charlie Rodgers on the
list), removed the electronics from the housing, and removed the offending
paint job from the plastic cover.
It is now black with a textured surface, much like the dashboard.

I am going to leave mine like this until I decide whether to repaint it, or
replace it with the wood veneer version from Performance Parts (on backorder
right now)

If anyone else wants to brave it, below are step by step instructions that I
will not guarantee will work for you, but did for me.

PS,

does anyone have a source for the small plastic covering for the mounting
assembly of the sun shades? These also suffered from paint deterioration,
but are beige plastic instead of black like the map light housing.

Here's the original note I got from Charlie that I  have added to: