[R129 SL] R129 automatic roll bar?

Pat and Norm Waleke r129list@mbcoupes.com
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 23:39:06 -0700

In a message dated 2/14/02 11:00 PM, Tom Reynolds at kjtar@earthlink.net
wrote:

> Hi group,
> Sorry for the newbie questions, but I have one about the automatic
> roll bar.  On my gallery page (which can be reached by going to
> http://cars.desertworld.com and then clicking on the "Gallery" link) I have
> a photo of a 1990 500SL with the (I think) automatic roll bar in the up
> position.  Granted, I haven't seen a lot of SLs, but the one I did see a
> month or so ago didn't have the roll bar showing (yeah, the top was down)
> and so I'm wondering how does one activate the "automatic" roll bar?  Is it
> supposed to fold back down when the car is stationary (or below a certain
> speed) or is it up to the occupants of the car?
> By the way, all of you are invited to place free "cars for sale" or
> "cars wanted" ads on my page.  Just email me for details, I'd be very happy
> to do it for you.
> Best regards,
> Tom Reynolds
> Hereford, AZ
> http://cars.desertworld.com
>
> P.S.  A big thanks to Norm and Pat Waleke for providing me to the link for
> their pictures AND descriptions of the rear deck area behind the seats of
> their R129 AND providing measurements of that area and the trunk as well!

It is basically up to the occupants. There is a switch on the upper right
side of the center console to raise or lower the rollbar. When the rollbar
is in the down position, it will raise automatically in an accident or in a
potentially dangerous driving situation. The roll bar can then be lowered
again after an automatic deployment by pressing the upper half of the
rollbar switch.

Norm and Pat
New Mexico, USA
'89 560SL 42K (his) "White Knight"
'91 Mighty Max 34K (ours) "Blue Max"
'93 300E Sportline 50K (ours) "Green Hornet"
'97 SL500AE 4K (hers) "Red Baron"
'98 SLK230 7K (ours) "Slick"
'00 S2000 2K (his) "Ichibon"
'01 PT Cruiser 2K (ours) "Salsa"