[R129 SL] R129 automatic roll bar?

Tom Reynolds r129list@mbcoupes.com
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 23:00:18 -0700

Hi group,
        Sorry for the newbie questions, but I have one about the automatic
roll bar.  On my gallery page (which can be reached by going to
http://cars.desertworld.com and then clicking on the "Gallery" link) I have
a photo of a 1990 500SL with the (I think) automatic roll bar in the up
position.  Granted, I haven't seen a lot of SLs, but the one I did see a
month or so ago didn't have the roll bar showing (yeah, the top was down)
and so I'm wondering how does one activate the "automatic" roll bar?  Is it
supposed to fold back down when the car is stationary (or below a certain
speed) or is it up to the occupants of the car?
        By the way, all of you are invited to place free "cars for sale" or
"cars wanted" ads on my page.  Just email me for details, I'd be very happy
to do it for you.
Best regards,
Tom Reynolds
Hereford, AZ
http://cars.desertworld.com

P.S.  A big thanks to Norm and Pat Waleke for providing me to the link for
their pictures AND descriptions of the rear deck area behind the seats of
their R129 AND providing measurements of that area and the trunk as well!