[LargeFormat] Extending bellows draw

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Wed Sep 10 16:35:10 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig Koshyk" <craig@prairieview.ca>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 6:27 AM
Subject: [LargeFormat] Extending bellows draw

I recently purchased a nice 8x20 camera of unknown brand
(Karona?). It
is in pretty good shape except for the bellows which I will
replace.
There are in fact two bellows. One between front and back
and another
smaller one on the front that allows for front forward tilt.

Anyway, the bellows draw on the camera is about 19 inches. I
plan to
use a G-Claron 305mm lens as there is just enough draw for
it (and it
covers 8x20).

This winter I will be completely refinishing the camera and
making a
few minor repairs to the wood and brass. I am also thinking
about
extending the rails to allow for longer bellows draw and
therefore a
slightly wider choice of lenses and the ability to focus a
bit closer
if need be. I would of course have the new bellows made long
enough to
handle any extension I make. There does not seem to be any
pre-existing
extension rail slots or holes in the back à la Kodak 2D but
the camera
is built similarily so It looks like an extension could be
easily
fashioned and attached with only minor modifications.

Questions

1. How many more inches should I add?

2. Where would I get the geared track to match the original
one?

Thanks,

CK

  I don't think this is a Korona camera because their 8x20
Panoramic View cameras had much longer bellows and took an
extention at the rear of the camera. The bellows length was
32-1/2 inches.
  The bellows draw for your camera is minimal since the
usual lens for this format is around 15".
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com