[LargeFormat] A good day in the store, and a query

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Wed Sep 3 12:50:14 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wilkes, Don MSER:EX" <Don.Wilkes@gems9.gov.bc.ca>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 8:54 AM
Subject: RE: [LargeFormat] A good day in the store, and a
query

> >   This is very common. See Steve Grimes site for
> > instructions on how to fix it. You need no tools, just a
> > business card and some rubber bands. Because the clips
come
> > off the film packets so frequently its well to learn how
> > do this.
>
> When I was in the shop yesterday, the guy behind the
counter was slightly
> hesitant about saying whether this would be an easy fix or
not because the
> holder seems some sort of 'transition' between the older
545 and the 545i.
> Where the older beast was easily stripable, being held
together with screws
> and bolts, this one has rivets in possibly important
places.  Now, the guy
> talking to me was not the techie, and readily admitted as
such, but he was a
> bit concerned about how much hassle it might be to get it
apart.  The
> service guru will be back today, so I'm hoping for a call
this afternoon.

> I did grab the PDF from Grimes's site, and have read it.
The trick with the
> business card puzzled me though -- the illustration didn't
enlighten me.
> Undoubtedly, it would make a lot more sense if I took the
beast apart and
> could see all the whizzers and clickers involved...
>
> Cheers,
> \donw

  I just looked at Grimes web site. The Polaroid 545
instructions don't seem to be there any more.
  No tools are needed to disassemble the holder. If you look
at the edges of the part that slides into the camera you
will see that it is held together by U-shaped strips on both
sides. These are fixed with a shallow lip along the bottom.
You can pry them up along one edge pretty easily. Once off
the holder comes apart. The rubber bands and card are used
to hold the thing together while you slip the strips back
on. I am just back from work and tired now but later I will
take one of my holders apart and see if I can describe the
process to you in an understandable way. A picture would be
better but I have no way of doing that.
  If the latch isn't working it maybe jammed by some bit of
junk in the holder. This will bcome obvious once its open.
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com