[LargeFormat] Re: [LargeFormat]Plug in coolers (was Summer in the City)

Tori Nelson largeformat@f32.net
Fri Jul 18 11:46:08 2003

On Thursday, July 17, 2003, at 10:02  PM, vernak@wvi.com wrote:

> I got one of this little refrigerators you plug into the cigarette
> lighter of
> the car. It can also keep things warm. It does not get very cold or
> very warm,
> though. You can't leave it plugged in when the car is stopped without
> discharging
> the car battery. I find it useful for keeping the most perishable
> groceries
> cool on the way home from the grocery...about a half hour. Slows the
> melting
> of the ice cream. Doesn't hold very much of anything, though. It could
> keep
> film from getting too warm, too, though.
>
> Verna

The problem with these coolers/refrigerators is that they will only
cool a certain number of degrees below the ambient temperature, usually
no more than 30.
The inside of a car is usually 30 to 40 degrees warmer than the outside
temperature (Time out for a personal plea...PLEASE DON'T LEAVE AN
ANIMAL IN A CAR,EVEN FOR A "FEW MINUTES", IT CAN EASILY BE A DEATH
SENTENCE FOR YOUR PET!), so you're not getting much benefit for the
money you have to spend on those things.  The suggestion about a cooler
with blue ice type bags is a much better way to go, IMHO.

Tori