[LargeFormat] Horseman or Gandolfi? ...or...

Jim Brick largeformat@f32.net
Fri May 30 12:40:00 2003

My first view camera was a Graphic View II, which I bought in 1959 for my
stint at Brooks Institute of Photography (59-61.) A great camera. After
Brooks, I became a commercial photographer, sold the Graphic View II and
bought a 4x5 Sinar and an 8x10 Deardorf. Both nice cameras and served me well.

After nearly two decades of commercial photography, I switched to
engineering (my first schooling at Oregon State - 55-59) and sold the Sinar
and Deardorf. A decade after that, I longed for a 4x5 and bought a Linhof
Master Technika field camera. Very nice camera, which I used for five
years, but I found it difficult to use with very wide lenses. So I sold it
and bought a Linhof Technikardan 45S. The 45S folds-up and packs away in my
backpack, in the exact same slot that my Technika used. To me, this is the
best 4x5 camera I've ever owned or used. It packs-up small for field
carrying and use and unfolds into a monorail that will easily take both my
55 Apo-Grandagon and my 75mm Grandagon-N lenses (unusable on the Technika
field camera) as well as my Nikkor 720mm Telephoto (also unusable on the
field camera.)

The Technikardan unfolds and set-up very quickly as well as folding-up and
packing away just as quickly. I've read reports of folks who couldn't
master the unfolding and folding technique. All I can say is... well, I
won't say it! It is simply dirt simple and very quick.

Here's a review with pictures:

http://www.butzi.net/reviews/linhoftk45s.htm

Jim