[LargeFormat] Horseman or Gandolfi?

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Fri May 30 06:06:01 2003

At 22:22 29/05/2003 -0400, Dan Kalish wrote:
>I'm new with Large Format and have been setting up a Graphic View II
>(monorail) with a 210mm Rodenstock lens.  I'm already tired of it: its
snip
>I imagine it would be a real pain to take the Graphic to an outdoor site.
>Therefore, I've been looking at field cameras.  I can get what I think are
>good prices on a Horseman 45HD and a Gandolfi Variant 3.
snip

Hello Dan,

I haven't used either camera, however if it is only availability that is
driving your decision then I would advise waiting!

For a wooden field camera there is only one choice for me - the Ebony
RW45E. This is a camera that will stay with you for life. There are many
reviews on the web and there is a spotlight on the camera at
http://www.f32.net/Associates/RobertWhite.php

The wood is ebony, the metal fittings are titanium. It is the most rigid
wooden field camera that I have used - even at full bellows extension.
Loads of movements and will satisfy all of your requirements. The quality
does come at a price, however if you chop and change through a few cameras
until you find the one that does the job for you then the wasted time and
money will easily pay for the Ebony!

The Ebony advertising byline says it all "Perfection is within your reach." :-)

As for your Graphic View II, I have one of these cameras and have been
pleasantly surprised by the rigidity and available movements. It is also
very light for a monorail and can be packed down to a size that allows it
to be used in the field fairly easily. It doesn't stand much comparison to
the Ebony though......

If you can find someone selling the Ebony cameras near you or perhaps
another photographer who has one and is willing, then take the time to
check it out.