[LargeFormat] Re: Shooting LF in below freezing conditions

Wilkes, Don MSER:EX largeformat@f32.net
Fri Apr 25 16:24:20 2003

> environment, and chuckle when I see some humidity levels in
> the winter. 80%
> humidity at -20 C works out to something like 1 tsp per cubic
> kilometre of air.

I don't know if I'd term my reaction to a typical Ottawa winter
"chuckling"... I had to keep a spoon next to the kitchen sink all winter to
de-static myself before I touched the water taps.  The discharge spark that
resulted if I didn't was impressive, and piercingly painful.  I still don't
understand why people live there -- the winters are brutal, the summers
blistering, and there isn't a mountain for several thousand miles.

Mind you, I seem especially prone to static buildup, compared to my friends.
Why, I don't know.  If I ever find myself in the field in winter, I'll have
to remember to discharge myself against the trusty Tiltall before touching a
film holder!  On the other hand, it might make for a nice Kirilian halo in
an otherwise blah sky...

Cheers from Victoria, where the official motto should be, "Mild, isn't it?"
\donw