[LargeFormat] Re: Shooting LF in below freezing conditions

Joseph O'Neil largeformat@f32.net
Fri Apr 25 07:48:15 2003

At 19:55 4/24/03 -0700, you wrote:
>In fact, astrophotographers have long used cold to reduce reciprocity
>failure. I've seen dry ice cameras for exactly that purpose. No, I would
>not know how much difference it would make with modern films. The last
>time I looked into this was about 20 years ago.

         "Cold cameras" are nto very common anymore amoung
astro-photogrpahers, with gas hypering or even digital having replaced
those cameras, but for guys who are shooting 35mm films, mostly colour,
mostly slide, everyone notices that when you shoot in winter - in cold
climates- that the cold does decrease reciprocity failure, so I see no
reason why it should not work the same for winter shooting with LF.

         Interestingly at this very moment there's a thread ont eh
astro-photo mailing list about which 4x5 film is best to use.  You see, you
need deep red response to caputre nebulae - most colour films cut off the
red too short for astro-photo use.  For example, tech pan, with it;'s red
response to 690nm, is a favourite with B&W shooters in not just 4x5, but
all formats (35mm, 120).

         The other thing that is noted is some of the new colour films
seeem to have very low reciprocity failure, at elast comapred to other
films.  For a combination fo good, deep, red response and low reciprocity
failure, Kodak Elite 200 or E200 slide film is the top favourite in 35mm
and 120.  The 200 vrsion, after much testing by many people, for reasons
unkown, has lower reciporcity failure than either the 100 or 400 ISO
versions.

         the only problem is, E200 does not apepar to be available in
4x5.  if I am wrong, please let me know ASAP, there's a pile fo guys
wanting to buy the stuff in 4x5 (a "pile" being maybe two dozen, not two
thousand.  :)

joe

http://www.oneilphoto.on.ca
http://www.multiboard.com/~joneil
Una salus victis, nullam sperare salutem