[LargeFormat] Re: Shooting LF in below freezing conditions

Joseph O'Neil largeformat@f32.net
Fri Apr 25 08:02:28 2003

>And a hell of a lot colder than -20c (or even the -40c I've shot at). I've
>never noticed any difference with the cold that I can tell.

         when you are doing astro-photo shots over the period of say an
hour, with colour film, print or slide, the deinsity of your negatives on
the same objects taken in winter as opposed to summer are very apparent.

         however,t his is with colour film mostly.  I ahve tried out
several B&W films for astro-photo use, and almost all of them have terrible
reciprocity failure.  T-max is an exception, but it has very terrible red
response, si it's not too good that way.

         Tech pan seems to be the only really good B&W film for astro-photo
use, but it has to be gas hyepr sensitized to be useable for astro-photo
work.  By comparison, something like Kodak E200 slide film is useable right
out of the box.
joe

http://www.oneilphoto.on.ca
http://www.multiboard.com/~joneil
Una salus victis, nullam sperare salutem