[LargeFormat] Seen on eBay

Guy Glorieux largeformat@f32.net
Sat Apr 26 00:18:11 2003

Now, for those with an 11x14, this is really something (not mine, but I
sure wish it were):

A Schneider Super Angulon 165mm for 11X14, put on the block for $2000
(reserve price being higher).

Does anybody on the list own one or know much about this lens.  Seems
like a gem.

Guy Glorieux

P.S.  If my calculations are correct, this would be equivalent to a 16mm
on a 35mm camera.  Is this right?  I wonder what kind of distortions
would come with this lens.

P.P.S.  This is more or less the same angle of view as that of the
pinhole/focal set-up I used last year to make the giant 150" x 96"
pinhole image from the Wyndham Montreal hotel room.  (Final chapter on a
separate email).

Question:
---------
Considering that the pinhole cost only 15 cents to make, that the size
of the image was 10 times bigger and that the pinhole has a focal length
ranging from 35" to 45" more or less with infinite DoF, under which
circumstances can the Super Angulon lens be considered a "good buy"?
.....-:))