[LargeFormat] DIY Focusing Cloth

Brock Nanson largeformat@f32.net
Tue Feb 18 12:06:11 2003

The one I have was home-sewn by the guy I got my Sinar F from.  I could
measure the dimensions when I get home, but the basics are:

navy blue cloth inside
once-white cloth outside
snaps down one edge

Basicly, the white and blue were sewn back to back.  Might be liner
material in between - you would need to test the two fabrics together
first I guess.  The white reflects the light (sun) off the cloth which
probably isn't a big consideration in the studio ;-) and the dark interior
kills the reflections inside.  The snaps make the whole thing into a sort
of cape - I wear it as I go back and forth to my bag etc.  The opening
(for my head if you can imagine it) is the size of the back of the camera,
so it keeps the light out from below as well.  I just 'turtle' back inside
and fit the neck hole over the camera when I need to view the glass.

Does that make any sense?

Brock