[LargeFormat] DIY Focusing Cloth

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Tue Feb 18 12:06:04 2003

the size will depend on what you find in the remainder bin at the fabric
store. Most fabric runs 42",45",54" and occasionally 72" but that will
make a darkcloth for a 16x20 camera.
Remember, unless you are shooting in DC or New York today, it doesn't need
to be light tight, or heavy.  One of my favorites is a block of fabric
that's really no heavier than a sheet. I'm guessing is 45" square since
the selvage is on two sides.

The deluxe model, which isnt' difficult to make is to sew the black sheet
to something white, then turn in inside out so the seams look nice.

I'mnot a fan of putting heavy weights in the corners. I tend to straighten
out the dark cloth by swinging it like a cape, and ground glass gets
expensive.