[LargeFormat] super angulon

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Sat Aug 24 04:04:35 2002

At 10:53 PM 08/23/2002 -0300, you wrote:

>> on outside of front element, is Linhof, in red script writing,opposite, is
>> made in germany.
>> Around front element is Technika, in red,  then super-angulon 1:8/ 90
>> Schneider-Kreuznach  8153403
>> This lens is mated to a Linhof synchro-compur, f-8 to f-32 shutter.,
>mounted
>> in a gray recessed lensboard.
>> the back of the rear element of the lens, has a number.  it is, 3403.
>>     I do not if I have the "cheap" model, or a really good one?  Don
>

>I don't know.
>
>My lens has the same front element as yours, it's a Technika (made for...).
>But my compur goes to f 64 and it is mounted on a black recessed board.
>Schneider provides some info at:
>http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/vintage_lens_data/large_format_lenses/su
>per-angulon/data/8-90mm.html
>
>and production dates at:
>http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/age_of_lenses/
>

>AIGNER

   The f/8 Super Angulon was the first model. A later model was f/5.6. Both
were made for a time. the f/5.6 version has very slightly larger coverage,
105degrees instead of 100, and, of course, is a bit faster.
   Both are of a type which traces to a lens designed by M.Roosinov, a
Russian designer (USP 2,516,724  1946). This is essentially two back to
back retrofocus lenses. The very large negative outside elements are
typical of this type of lens. The later version of the Zeiss Biogon is of
the same type.
  There are at least four variations of the Schneider Super Angulon,
differing in speed and number of elements. The f/8 version has six
elements, the faster lenses have up to eight or more.
  These are high performance wide angle lenses.
  Linhof tested all lenses bearing its tradmark in its factory. These tests
were in addition to those conducted in the lens factory. Linhof weeded out
any defective or poor performing lenses so there is some assurance that
used lenses marked Linhof perform as they are intended to. There is no
difference in design
  Linhof marked lenses and shutters but did not make either. The markings
mean only that they were supplied to Linhof for sale with their equipment
and were tested by Linhof.

----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA