[LargeFormat] Type 55 Polaroid and Panatomic X?

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Tue May 28 12:12:41 2002

At 7:28 am -0700 28/5/02, Rich Lahrson wrote:
>Hi Clive!
>
>I've got a 1000 ft. by 5 inch spool of the Panatomic-X aerial film I got
>for a few dollars on eBay a few years ago.  I had a 3 1/4 by 4 1/4
>inch Graflex SLR and cut some film for it.  But it was too big a
>hassle, so I sold the Graflex.
>
>I'm setting up an old Elwood 5x7 enlarger, it still needs an aristo
>light for it. I'm returning to large format and have decided on the
>5x7 format.  It will be easy to cut the Pan-X film, just one cut.
>
>I decided on the 5x7 format because I've got the film and would like to
>try new, to me, developers like pyro.  The 5x7 format is large enough for
>contact finished prints, unlike 4x5 which, to me, seems too small.  The 5x7
>format will therefore provide the potential to try papers like Azo and
>Amidol, stuff I've not had a chance to try.

snip

Hello Rich,

Yep, that's the same batch of Panatomic X and time period and I was
very tempted but with the scanning issue for film in aircraft holds I
decided against it. I had a long chat with the seller and between us
we couldn't work out a way around the problem unless I moved to live
in the USA - still thinking about that :-)

The bulk reel would have been ideal for me also as it would have
taken care of most of my 4x5 and 5x7 B&W needs for good while. When
you get some images from the film please post 'em up on the f32.net
Discussion Forum - you'll need to subscribe to do that.

The only potential problem with the film is handling - loading
filmholders and subsequent developing as it is on a thin base. Have
you found this?

Sounds as though you will be well set up when you have your washer
and drying screens set up. I have the same luxury as you at the
moment - just me, the cameras/darkroom and I'm making the most of it
:-)