[LargeFormat] cropping

philip.lambert largeformat@f32.net
Fri Apr 5 02:34:04 2002

Subject: [LargeFormat] cropping

> While cleaning up my scans it occurred to me that I shoot 4x5 the same way
> as 35mm.  That is, I do the cropping in the camera.  This sometimes
> backfires as commercially processed E-6 sometimes leaves minor damage on
one
> edge (at least my stuff comes back this way - looks like clip marks).
>

> Many of you seem to do 8x10 contacts... clearly composition is important
as
> cropping isn't possible this way.
>
> So I'm curious to know how the rest of you shoot large format.  Do you
crop
> in the camera or leave space to do so in the darkroom?

Not everyone can afford 8x10 or can carry the equipment round a site. So far
as medium format is concerned I use 120 rollfilm in my Linhof. If using
'chrome I fill the 6x9 frame with the image I want as the whole film comes
back from the processor  undamaged.   Have not found a satisfactory lab
which would print entire 6x9 negatives . If I use print film I use a 6x7 rfb
and don't expect the  frame to be printed 100%.  On this basis usable
negatives are in reality quite a lot smaller than transparencies.  Probably
will now get all negs/transparencies back on cdrom in the belief the entire
frame will be scanned and am buying an Epson colour printer sometime (when
they stop bringing out improved models every half year!) Philip