[LargeFormat] Philosophy

Brock Nanson largeformat@f32.net
Sat Mar 23 00:00:03 2002

| > Yup I know the feeling of setting up a darkroom. Mine took me
| > about 6 weeks in all. Sweating pipe drilling through concrete walls for
| the
|

| Oh, if it had only been six weeks!  It took most of a year for mine.  It
| started as a ghastly pit of ugliness in a corner of the basement, and a
| *lot* of time was consumed in ripping out everything in sight.  Since we'd
| put in a new gas furnace, the old oil tank went, freeing up gobs of room.
| But, this meant pulling the old fuel lines out from where they were
| half-buried in the concrete floor, patching and grinding the resulting
holes
| in the floor, and spitting out concrete dust for days -- not fun. And,
that
| was the easy part...

Well I'm embarrassed to say I've been at mine for more than two years and
have yet to produce a single print...!  It seems that darkrooms are always
in the most difficult (and valueless) corners of basements.  That means that
one must bring in water, jackhammer the floor for drainage, build walls and
ceilings around gas lines, B-vents, poorly placed beams etc.  And of course
there should not be any available electricity so as to ensure one must bring
power from the other side of the house through the finished rooms to the
dark corner.

Oh yes, and the furnace should be close by so that you can prematurely kill
the fan motor with drywall dust (even though you do the sanding with a shop
vac and filter).... Why is it the shop vac survives and the furnace motor
doesn't???

I can see the dark at the end of the tunnel however... I need only make the
final connections between the sink and the wall, and weather-strip the door
to prevent light leaks.  At this rate, I should be good to go by the end of
August...

I did drop not one, but two Ethernet cables into this room... just in case.

Brock