[LargeFormat] darkroom horrors (was philosophy)

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Fri Mar 22 19:01:01 2002

Actually my first dark room wasnt' that bad to create.  It was in a 50s
tract house, that had 7 foot ceiling in the basement, a decent location for
a drain. I got cabinets from a neighbor who was redoing their kitchen  so
all I had to do was put in a stud wall and some outlets.

Infact I used the darkroom for three sessions before the drywall was in.
Just did it at night to keep the light leaks to a minimum.

And yes you could spend 'weeks and a fortune'  I guess I have, but A) I am
obsessive, particulalry about over engineering, adding bells and whistles.
and B) at least with the first darkroom, it was an income producer, so I had
an excuse to go a bit overboard.

The second mess I just got myself into was to process 5x7 and 8x10 film.

I don't have a sink and just got water into the darkroom since I moved 10
years ago.

Yes you can do it easier, simpler.  But will admit, unless you like the
smell and the dark, photoshop is the future, of course you could spend weeks
and two fortunes with computer equipment too.

Les