[LargeFormat] Tripods - the way forwards? (was Re: Large Format in Rome)

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Wed Mar 6 08:03:00 2002

At 21:09 05/03/02 -0800, Brock Nanson wrote:
>Thanks Clive,
>
>The age-old debate about what makes a good tripod!  I've used the 190 with
>my Sinar, but not with the super graphic.  When I get a day this spring I
>might try that combination.  I've found, like you say, that the smaller ones
>get a little springy and a great deal of attention must be given to how the
>shutter is released!  No breeze and the cable release better not be pulled
>tight!  I've almost considered getting some sort of an adapter to allow a
>bulb release to be used (the lense end is too big to fit against the lense
>board - at least in my case) to further minimize movement.
>
>I typically use a big Manfrotto (well, the sister company to be exact) with
>the air release legs and nice points hidden inside the rubber feet.  The
>stabilizing supports between the center post and the legs are what make a
>tripod firm I think.  But I don't like to carry this model any farther than
>I can throw a large-ish man... they are similar weights.  So finding a nice
>alternative is attractive.
>
>I don't know what the excitement about the carbon fibre is.  I find them to
>have more bounce to them than the aluminum ones do.  Well, maybe not bounce,
>but more of a vibration - they are stiffer after all!  But at least they are
>lighter too!
>
>For some reason I think we've had this conversation before...
>
>Brock
snip

Brock,

I share your views about carbon fibre tripods but have never used one,
simply played with one in a photo store :-)

I guess that field and travel photography is all about compromises.  There
are not many people that will throw a studio Sinar P2, set of lenses and
big Manfrotto tripod in the back of a four by four and take off up a mountain.

You have to have some kind of masochistic streak to take a whole load of
heavy kit along for a trip that is not entirely intended to be
photographic.  The weight and size of a tripod becomes an important
variable when you are also carrying paperwork and various computer gear.

The Manfrotto 190 could be a real winner if they bring out a version with
leg bracing. Perhaps they have already!  Will have to have a look around -
unless someone on the list already knows the answer to this question.  As
the tripods are made in Italy this could be a good opportunity to travel on
the outward journey to Italy without a tripod and the return with one!

We may well have discussed tripods before but it was probably a previous
lifetime and they didn't have the internet then.....