[LargeFormat] Tripods - the way forwards? (was Re: Large Format in Rome)

philip Lambert largeformat@f32.net
Wed Mar 6 17:06:48 2002

> I share your views about carbon fibre tripods but have never used one,
> simply played with one in a photo store :-)
>
> I guess that field and travel photography is all about compromises.  There
> are not many people that will throw a studio Sinar P2, set of lenses and
> big Manfrotto tripod in the back of a four by four and take off up a
mountain.

> You have to have some kind of masochistic streak to take a whole load of
> heavy kit along for a trip that is not entirely intended to be
> photographic.  The weight and size of a tripod becomes an important
> variable when you are also carrying paperwork and various computer gear.
>
> The Manfrotto 190 could be a real winner if they bring out a version with
> leg bracing. Perhaps they have already!  Will have to have a look around -
> unless someone on the list already knows the answer to this question.  As
> the tripods are made in Italy this could be a good opportunity to travel
on
> the outward journey to Italy without a tripod and the return with one!
>
> We may well have discussed tripods before but it was probably a previous
> lifetime and they didn't have the internet then.....
>
> Cheers,
>             Clive
> Friend of mine uses a carbonfibre tripod with his monorail and he treats
it v carefully.  The high price is one reason, also the vulnerabity of
carbon fibres to sharp or gritty substances like sand in the tubes. Once the
resin is engraved this way there is a weakness there which makes carbonfibre
tripods essentially shortlived in the field.  Replacement legs evidently v
expensive.
Just how much weight will you save over an alloy tripod at half the price
and twice the life? You perhaps have the same 3way or b&s head on either and
the same carrybag, it's only the legs that weigh less.
Does anybody think wooden tripods  give light weight and adequate support?
Two I looked at were massive - looked like surveyors' tools.  I did have a
black wooden Gandolfi tripod but it was a bit limited and unsteady when the
ground glass was at shoulder height.  Recently I had a Benbo Trekker which
just accepted my little Linhof but when carrying the outfit round a building
exterior I had to move each leg separately back to vertical and to set up
again . My conventional tripod weighs more but closing and opening its legs
when moving round the site is v quick.  The whole outfit is too much to
carry round Rome or Florence though.
Philip