[LargeFormat] Air Travel with Film - Precautions (was Re: Large Format in Rome, Italy)

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Wed Mar 6 05:56:21 2002

At 07:15 04/03/02 -0800, john frost wrote:
>I plan on using readyloads while in UK. I'll have the polaroid filmback
>with me anyway, and I don't want to spend evenings in a changing bag.
>The filmholder will go checked; camera, lenses and film will go carry
>on.
>
>john (:>)

John,

Very wise.  Probably the best solution, am wondering if my polaroid film
back will fit into the Korona.  As for evenings in a changing bag - depends
how big the changing bag is and who you are with ;-)

Any film taken along for the trip will need to be carried.  Film placed in
the checked luggage will be subject to a high intensity scan that will
trash the film - usually with an interesting (depending on your
perspective) set of lines from the scanning beams.  One reason why I never
buy film that has to be shipped Internationally.

New hand luggage scanners have been introduced that are either used
alongside current lower power scanners or replace them.  So it may be a
risk to take undev'd film through even as hand luggage.

So, the best way of carrying out photography in foreign parts is to buy the
film at destination and dev before return!

Although European film prices will frighten most US-based peops.......

PS I have written a section for the Infrared FAQ on this topic
http://www.infraredfaq.org